Hypertension can be a huge problem that can eventually lead to your death if it’s not kept under control. You can lower it by using medication specially designed for high blood pressure, but you can’t just take the medicine and assume you are doing fine. It’s important to have regular checks to be sure that your medication is working and that no other factors have caused your blood pressure to rise, such as a poor diet.
Are blood pressure monitors better nowadays?
In the past, blood pressure monitors were large and needed to be used by a doctor. Then, they became more portable and could be used at home, but there were still limitations to them. You had to be at home to use them, as they weren’t something you wanted to take places with you. That limited the time you could be out if you had to monitor it a few times a day. You also had to keep a notebook to write down all of your readings to give to your doctor every time you came in.
Now, with the newer technology available, measuring several times a day is both easy and convenient. There are many different kinds of blood pressure monitors available today, and they each have different advantages and disadvantages. Some of the most common ones include:
- Portable Digital Monitor – This is a larger monitor, similar to the ones used at home in the past. It has the same cuff you’re used to at the doctor’s office. However, it is digital, so it is easier to read and you don’t need to listen through a stethoscope. It’s one of the least expensive options and is very accurate. Look for a portable blood pressure monitor that has an easy to read screen and the right size cuff for you.
- Finger Monitor – These monitors are tiny, so they can easily slip into your purse or pocket. They slip over your finger and with the push of a button they start checking. A finger blood pressure monitor is not always as accurate as a digital monitor, but they are convenient and easy to take along with you.
- Watch Monitor – Need to check your hypertension often during the day? The blood pressure monitor watch is worn just like a watch, but it allows you to take your blood pressure easily wherever you are. Simply push a button and the watch will display the results on the screen. A wrist monitor is a little different.
What’s the best way to track your blood pressure?
Once you have the right blood pressure monitor for your wants and needs, it’s still important to record each reading you take. This lets you and your doctor see patterns over time and make sure your medication is working the way it should be. There are typically 3 different ways to keep track of your blood pressure:
- By Hand – Traditionally, all records you would take would be done by hand. You can transfer them onto the computer if you want at the end of the day, but most people just keep a certain notebook handy to write down their readings. You’ll take this notebook in every time you go to your doctor.
- USB Enabled – One of the newer ways to record hypertension is by using an usb blood pressure monitor. These monitors simply plug in to your computer through the USB drive and then you can transfer your readings into a special program. When you go to your doctors, you can simply print out a list of your readings to take with you.
- Bluetooth Blood Pressure Enabled – A blood pressure monitor bluetooth is also one of the newer ways to track your blood pressure readings. When you use your Bluetooth enabled monitor, it will automatically send a reading to a Bluetooth enabled device, such as your phone or tablet. Your phone or tablet will then record all of your readings in an app. This is the most convenient method when you’re on the go, as you don’t need to worry about finding a pen or getting to your computer to record the readings.
Do you always forget to track your blood pressure?
If you need to check your blood pressure readings multiple times a day to ensure your medication is working and your blood pressure is not going up, there’s more options available than ever before. Take the time today to talk to your doctor about which type of monitor might be good for you, and for the options you have for recording your readings. Then, you can purchase the one you prefer and start tracking it easily at home. Ensuring your medication is working is extremely important to prevent any problems that can occur if your hypertension continues to rise. With the new monitors, you can check your blood pressure quickly and easily, even if you’re on vacation or at the grocery store.